EXCLUSIVE Interview with Weller Hauraki (Sunday 1st May 2022)

 Hello and welcome back to my blog. Yesterday, I brought you my interview with Huddersfield's Matty English. Today, I bring you my interview with Weller Hauraki. The former New Zealand international spent the majority of his career in Super League, enjoying spells with 6 different Super League clubs. However, he started his career in the NRL, playing 32 games for the Parramatta Eels between 2007-2009. He had a successful spell at Crusaders (now London Broncos) in 2010, in which he scored 11 tries in 28 games. He signed for Leeds as a result. He scored in his debut, a 32-18 victory over Hull FC. He moved to Castleford Tigers in 2013, and was a key part of a feared pack and, in 2014, the run to the Challenge Cup final. He then spent 4 years at Salford although in 2018, he was loaned out to the Widnes Vikings. He spent 2 years at East Hull at Hull Kingston Rovers, where he spent some time as captain of the club before calling time on his illustrious career in February 2021. Hauraki played 5 games for New Zealand Maori between 2005 and 2010, and also was in the New Zealand training squad for the 2008 World Cup, although he did not make it to the final squad. Nevertheless, this international representation shows his undoubted class. Without further ado, let's get into the questions I asked him not too long ago.



You were released by Parramatta to ease the pressure on their salary cap. Did you actually want to leave and did you feel some resentment to the club?

I was gutted that I had to leave Parra but at the same time it was another opportunity for me to play in Super League and play first grade rugby, but no I never had any bad feelings towards the club. I still follow them to this day.

You got off to the best possible start to life at Leeds, coming off the bench and scoring on your debut; did that make your start to life at Leeds easier?

I loved my time at Leeds. We had a great group of boys that achieved so much while I was there and I'm very grateful for the opportunity they gave me.

You played in countless Challenge Cup games and although you didn't win it, you were instrumental in getting to the 2011 Final with Leeds and the 2014 Final with Castleford; what's it like playing in a Cup competition like this when you didn't grow up with a Cup competition down under?

Playing at Wembley Stadium was unreal and Leeds made that week a memorable moment. Although we didn't win the final, it was a massive privilege to play at Wembley and be involved with such a talented squad. They always gave us overseas players the rundown on the history behind the Challenge Cup and that made it even more special for us.

You spent 4 years at Salford, the longest period you spent at any club- what was it about them you loved so much?

My time at Salford will always be special as my kids made most of their memories there and I really got involved with the community with coaching etc. They really made us feel welcome. There were some dark times with us not winning and also special times with us winning the Million Pound Game. I know it was to stay up but winning that was like winning at Wembley for the whole club and the supporters were outstanding. I still keep in touch with a few now and that's probably why we enjoyed it at Salford the most.

And finally, who do you think will win this years NRL and Super League?

I think Penrith will win this year's NRL and Hull KR will win Super League this year.

Well there we have it. Thank you to Weller for doing the interview and I hope you enjoyed reading it. The next blog will be on Thursday 5th May and will be about the Challenge Cup Men's Semi Finals and Women's Final, including my predictions for the three games. I hope you will read that but until then, thanks again to Weller and you for reading the interview and have a good rest of your bank holiday. Bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exclusive interview with Jodie Broughton (Thursday 6th January 2022)

Round Review: Super League Round 25 (Sunday 10th September 2023)

EXCLUSIVE: Brazil set to make International History