Exclusive Interview with Jermaine McGillvary (Thursday 16th June 2022)

 Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I have an interview with a man that needs no introduction; it is Huddersfield and Super League legend, Jermaine McGillvary. In a professional career spanning 15 years (to date), the great winger has made over 370 professional appearances. The bulk of them have come for Huddersfield, who he has made about 280 appearances for. He has also made 25 appearances for various England and Great Britain teams, as well as 1 game last year for the Combined Nations. Despite retiring from international rugby league last week, he is still going strong in domestic RL. He earned player of the match in the Challenge Cup Semi Final victory over Hull KR and also scored a try in the second half of Huddersfield's narrow defeat to Wigan in this years final of the Challenge Cup. In 2008 and 2009, Jerry also spent time on loan at Batley and Barrow. It is at the former club where he is joint record holder for most tries in a game with 5, against Whitehaven on May 24th 2009. Without further ado, let's get into the interview with this great player.


You've spent your whole career at Huddersfield. What is it about them that you like so much?
"Huddersfield first off gave me, a kid who hadn't played any rugby for 5-6 years, a chance, which I am extremely grateful for. Also Huddersfield is home. I was born and raised in Huddersfield so the club means a lot to me and those are the reasons I stayed. I've been close to taking up opportunities elsewhere in the past but I've always been looked after here."

What is the greatest achievement of your career?
"I wouldn't say there's one greatest achievement but a couple.
1) Just actually having a career especially a Super League one because if you'd seen me when I started league, 2 would've been an achievement.
2) Winning the league leaders in 2013 was quite special as it was very early in my career and my first taste of some success.
3) Making my England debut in 2015, wow! For me, playing for your country is the pinnacle so getting to do that was a dream come true."

Ian Watson has revitalised Huddersfield this season. What do you put that down to?
"I think it's no surprise what Watto (Ian Watson) has achieved so far with Huddersfield with having success at Salford with a low budget and no academy. For me, he's the best coach we've had at Huddersfield without a doubt, even at 34 he has improved my game so much so for all the younger lads he's done wonders for. I honestly don't think he has a day off from Rugby League, he's always going through videos, tactics etc. But that's what makes him a top class coach and I reckon he's gunna go to the very top within coaching."

What did it mean to you to get the England call-up? Was it frustrating that you didn't get it earlier because it at least seems to us fans that you would've been capable of playing for England earlier in your career?
"Yes, it was very frustrating for me as I did think I was capable of playing a lot younger than 27 but everything happens for a reason and I am happy with how I've performed when playing for England so I can't complain. I actually nearly never made my debut in 2015, I wasn't down to play in the last test!! When I realised I was in the team from the training session and video, I had a heart to heart with Steve McNamara. I won't go into detail but the day after he said nobody has ever approached him in that manner before and how much respect he had for me for it and he picked me! To this day me and Steve have a huge amount of respect for each other... he's a top coach and a great person."

Why did you call time on your International career now? With the World Cup at the end of the year, and England v Combined Nations All Stars this week, it surely shocked some people.
"It's something I've definitely been thinking about since I got dropped vs the Combined Nations last season but it was kind of a blessing in disguise, it gave me the kick up the ass to show I've still got it and I think I proved that. I was actually meant to play vs France but I had to pull out. 
As for my decision to do it now, I can see why it may seem strange but I believe it's my time. I'm also wanting to prolong my career and to do that I need proper rest and tough pre-seasons to keep me as robust as possibly. We have so many talented young exciting wingers too which I'm so excited to watch in the World Cup... I can't see England missing me."

And that is it for another blog. I want to give a massive thanks to Jermaine for taking the time out to do this interview! I'm now going to be quite busy over the next couple of weeks. I've got exams week commencing 27th June, I'm in Paris from the 5th to 8th of July for a nice little break and then I am spending a week at Elland Road doing work experience with Leeds United from the 11th to 15th July. Nevertheless, I will try squeeze another blog in within that time but I don't know when it will be. A massive thanks again to Jermaine. Until the next blog, bye!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exclusive interview with Jodie Broughton (Thursday 6th January 2022)

Round Review: Super League Round 25 (Sunday 10th September 2023)

EXCLUSIVE: Brazil set to make International History